1.What did you do in 2020 that you’d never done before?
Along with the rest of the world – experienced quarantine for the coronavirus covid-19
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Got pretty close, I’m blaming the pandemic for not.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Flower! She gave birth to the Goodest Baby
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Dad died on the 22nd April. Though he’d been having leukaemia treatment we’d all been expecting his passing to be after a long stay in hospital instead he went incredibly quickly at home.
My Grandma died on the 28th October, a week after her 93rd birthday, again it wasn’t totally unexpected but it was awfully sad. My Uncle was with her but my Mum couldn’t be because of the pandemic. Luckily they had managed both to visit and to FaceTime over the summer.
5. What countries did you visit?
In April the outside world felt like a foreign country, that counts right?!?!
6. What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?
7. What date from 2020 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
4th January A very nice video call
21st March BoJo called for isolation measures meaning my weekend social distancing Hanami picnic the day before squeaked in under the wire.
22nd April Dad died
28th October Grandma died
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I got a client to walk in front of a nurse who was convinced he couldn’t. I was quietly confident his paperwork was in fact wrong and very relieved when this was proven correct.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failed to stick with my fitness program, not really beating myself up over it though because family bereavement, stress and global pandemic.
10. Were you seriously ill during 2020?
I’m chronically ill as default but so far not seriously
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Jumpers in Bedford
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My cousins (all three of them) who have been amazing during this horrible year.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
45, what the actual fuck?!?!
14. Where did most of your money go?
The exploded radiator and the exploding car.
15. What did you get excited about?
The SpaceEx launch was pretty exciting but I think that was topped by The Bonsai Kaiju’s birthday as that meant The Jellicle and I got to go to Chester Zoo!
16. What song will always remind you of 2020?
The Joy of Living by Ewan McColl and Peggy Seegar
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Sadder, I’m grieving
ii. thinner or fatter?
Thinner but only just
iii. richer or poorer?
Poorer, so much for launching my subscription business this year
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Hugging my nephews
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Working, laying on the couch crying, that sort of thing
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
It was actually lovely, The Jellicle and Imp came over for dinner after they had a romantic walk in the park. We opened presents, FaceTimed extensively with The Princess, Britney, my nephews and my Mum, watched The Hogfather and played a Sumo game my Reddit Secret Santa got me.
21. How many one night stands?
22. Did you fall in love in 2020?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Life is too good to waste on hate. That being said I am finding it harder to stomach Tories after this year.
24. What was your favorite TV programme?
The Order or Tremors because I have appalling taste!
I also really need to mention RuPaul because apparently when stressed and grieving I turn to Drag Race and all it’s spin offs.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Rag n Bone Man doing Bob Dylan at Lady Gaga’s concert
26. What was the best book you read?
How to Fold Paper Planes – I’m not even kidding. Everything is revolving around The Bonsaï Kaiju this year because I can’t see him.
27. Are you happy with your lot?
Mostly, I kind of wanted to improve my life this year and instead… well got 2020’d in the face
28. What did you want and get?
More time with The Jellicle
29. What did you want and NOT get?
Hugs, visits from friends, people within 2 metre proximity
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Jumanji because it was the last film that The Jellicle and I saw together in a cinema
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 38 and I had a birthday Sunday Dinner with Britney, The Princess, Bonsai Kaiju and Smol Dragon.
The actual day started off with presents from the Jellicle (she gets them very right). She got me a fluffy hare, now named Sp’hare and a Hello Kitty ink pen. Then DS Luke came over for lunch and to finish off the Marshmallow and Chocolate cake which Bonsai Kaiju and The Princess baked.
That Friday I had a Paint-A-Long with Bob Ross party. It was excellently good fun and The Girl with Golden Hair, Excellent Lesbian, DS Luke, Chibi Laura, Imp, Jellicle and I all made paintings we were happy with.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
No international pandemic and all its knock on effects.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020?
Dressing up to stay home keeps me sane. Full make-up and fake tan for fun.
34. What kept you sane?
My Awesome Boss My Awesome Boss My Awesome Boss
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Black Lives Matter though BREXIT is still making me cry.
37. Who did you miss?
My Grandma, My Great Uncle, My Dad, My Other Grandma, Skimbleshanks
38. Who were the best new people you met?
The Fae Ref
The Questing Pagan
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2020:
Being chronically ill prepares you for a global pandemic like nothing else
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Who knows where this road is supposed to lead
We got nothing but time
As long as you’re right here next to me, everything’s gonna be alright