It looked cool so I followed the meme…
1. What did you do in 2004 that you’ve never done before?
Moved to Japan.
Various intrigueing (to me) sexual things.
To my eternal and undying shame (no I really mean this one) discovered that I’ve had illegal sex.
2. Did you keep your New Years resolutions?
No. I barely even tried.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not really, helped to bury Giggle’s hamster.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
A feeling that I’m actually doing the right thing, about pretty much anything.
7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
17th January – My Cthulhoid Birthday!
23rd June – It was just an incredibly strange day I guess
25th July – I touched down in the land of the Rising Sun!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I have a piece of paper which says the British Government will let me teach children…
9.What was your biggest failure?
Fucking up with friends.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Possibly if I admitted to this I might have had a better year. No worse than a lot of other people I know at any rate. And some fucker spiked my drink which led to an interesting time at the hospital…not sure if that really counts.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
-Christmas Presents for people back home
-My region free DVD player….yes number 18 has infected me with the desire to own some really good DVDs…
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The Jellicle Cat
The Yellow Dart in excessive amounts
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My staffroom’s in reaction to an Islamic woman in Kofu.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Photos and tech. Bills and oweing money to people.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My Cthulhuoid birthday.
My birthday at number 18.
Being in Japan.
16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Spiritualised – Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
17. Compared to this time last year, are you
a.) Happier or sadder? Sadder, but hopefully wiser too. I hope.
b.) Thinner or fatter? Thinner, it was so easy to gain weight last year but now I cycle to work everyday.
c.) Richer or poorer? Richer…I have a well paid job now…tis wierd…
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Being with my friends.
Being with my sister.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent Christmas roleplaying in a Pokemon Besm, drinking Jack Daniels and saying ‘chu’ in various tones…
21 How many one-night stands?
22. What was your favourite TV program?
Buffy, Dr Who, West Wing…can’t top Giggle’s answers here so will just add Coupling to the list.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No there is one person who I know personally who has ever raised my ire to hatred and they’ve been there a long time now. Not sure if I actually dislike Mr Bush enough to hate him…mostly it’s pity I think…mixed in with a healthy dose of fear.
24. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t read nearly enough this year. That will be rectified by my ridiculously large order at Amazon and Mixed Bag’s generousity. Probably The Robber Bride by Magaret Atwood.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and got?
To stop being a teacher in the UK.
27. What did you want and not get?
Peace on Earth. But that happens every year…Bloody FemNazis to stop being arseholes and actually behave in a rational way as befits the fact that they actually have a good point to make and don’t need to be such bitches about it.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Eternal Sunshines of a Spotless Mind for sheer brilliance. Shrek 2 for sheer humour. Kill Bill 2 because I still can’t believe I actually enjoyed the Kill Bill duo.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My age is irrelevant but I spent my birthday with my housemates; FFG, Giggles and The Yellow Dart and the bear that they gave me made her way (passport in hand) to Japan with me. FFG made my birthday tea.
30.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being such a fool.
Having some ammount of empathy.
The Jellicle Cat finding a boyfriend before I left.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Whatever the school told me to wear.
32. What kept you sane?
The third pair of blue eyes and the Jellicle Cat.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Wierdly enough Renee Zellweger…yeah I wasn’t expecting that either.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The sheer amount of CRAP in American, British and Australian politics vis a vis the ‘war on terror’ and their fucking lies because of it. I’m afraid gay marriages came in seond to that one.
35. Who did you miss?
Everyone in Lancs. My sister. American Beardy.
36. Who was the best new person (or people) you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
That I need to be a lot less stressed to be nicer.
That my communication skills are currently shit.
That what happens, happens whether it’s for a moment or a lifetime.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
There seem to be two as far as I’m concerned;
‘You and me we’re cut from the same cloth
It seems to some we famously get along
But you and me are strangers to each other
Cuz you and me:competitive to the bone
Such tragedy to trample on each other with how much we’ve endured
With the state this land is in
You and me feel joined by only gender
We are not all for one and one for all’ SisterBlister – Alanis Morrisette
‘Here we stand or here we fall
History won’t care at all
Make the bed light the light
Lady Mercy won’t be home tonight
You don’t waste no time at all
Don’t hear the bellnbut you answer the call
It comes to you as to us all
We’re just waiting
For the hammer to fall’ Hammer To Fall – Queen
39. Was 2004 a good year?
But there were some truly ecstatic, amazing, bizarre and wonderful moments.